In 1980, President Jimmy Carter issued the first presidential proclamation declaring the week of March 8th as National Women’s History Week. Then, in 1986, the National Women’s History Project petitioned Congress to expand the event to the entire month of March. International Women’s Day will be celebrated on March 8th and the theme is “Choose to Challenge.” The theme for the month is “Valiant Women of the Vote: Refusing to Be Silenced.”
Are you ready to celebrate Women’s History Month? Here are some ways that you can celebrate.
- Support a Women Owned Business
- Buy a Book written by a female author
- Purchase art from a female artist
- Dine at a restaurant with a female chef
- Support a Female Designer
- Support a Women’s Nonprofit
- Listen to a podcast hosted by a Woman
- Recite your favorite female empowerment quote
- Acknowledge a woman that inspires you
- Watch a TED Talk for Women
These are just some suggestions! I plan to do something every day for the month of March to celebrate women! What would you add?