Yes, it’s Daylight Savings time again. Time to set our clocks forward. Most people see it as losing an hour of sleep, but for me it’s about gaining Sunlight! This has been a tough year for all of us and the thought of moving FORWARD makes me happy. I am starting to see the light at the end of this tunnel. My friends and family are getting vaccinated. For the first time in months, I am hopeful. I am happy. I am free.
What will I do with the “extra” hour of sunlight? I will spend more time outdoors. Mojo and I can ride our bikes. I can sit on the Lakefront and read. I can resume my evening walks in City Park. I can attend weekend Yoga sessions. I can listen to live music while sipping on something. I can dine outside on the balcony. I can visit my favorite snoball stand. Rooftop pools and bars will soon be open.
Goodbye, Seasonal depression. Hello, seasonal allergies! Flowers are blooming. Birds are chirping. Butterflies have emerged from their cocoons. Spring is coming.
Moving forward doesn’t mean that we are forgetting. Moving forward reminds us to take care of ourselves. Now is the perfect time to Revamp Your Nighttime Routine. A nighttime routine is a gamechanger when adjusting to time changes.
Here are 5 things to include in your Nighttime Routine:
- Have a cup of tea to relax. I always have a cup of Chamomile tea before bed. It signals my body that it is time to unwind and relax for the night. I read a chapter in my book of the month.
- Decide on a set bedtime and stick to it. Pick a bedtime that gives you the amount of hours that your body needs to rest. I am in bed by 9:30pm to wake up at 5:00am. My Iphone even has a Bedtime Alarm. FYI most people should have at least 7 hours of sleep.
- Establish a cut off time for electronics. I use the “Do Not Disturb” feature on my phone and also put my phone down at least 30 minutes before starting my Nighttime Routine. I will not respond to any calls, emails or texts until the next morning.
- Write down a To Do List or Brain Dump. My mind is always going. I feel like I have a million and one tabs open at one time. Before bed, I take out my journal and do a “brain dump.” I put all of my ideas on paper. I write down my thoughts about the day. This way my mind calms down and I’m not in bed looking at the ceiling thinking about everything.
- Practice Meditation. After my brain dump, it’s time to really calm my mind. I listen to my guided meditation app. Some nights, I fall asleep before it’s over.
Do you have a nighttime routine? What will you do with this extra hour of sunlight?